Cisco CCNP TSHOOT exam topology

by Jeremy L. Gaddis on February 21, 2010 · 13 comments

in Certification

Philip Vancil, “part of the exam development team”, posted the TSHOOT Exam Topology on The Cisco Learning Network website last Tuesday. He notes that “… what am [sic] about to reveal is not part of some secret NDA”, so it seems safe to assume it can be freely shared.

To be honest, I haven’t spent much time looking into the new exams (ROUTE, SWITCH, and TSHOOT), as the amount of studying I have done in the last few months has went downhill significantly. In other words, I haven’t studied a bit. The motivation has, for some reason, mostly disappeared, but I’m hoping to convince myself real soon now to get back into “study mode”.

From looking at the topology, however, I can say that I’m quite impressed. I did not expect the topology to be as extensive as it is. If you’re reading this, you likely already know that there are some issues with cheating on the Cisco exams and a hands on troubleshooting exam is, in my opinion, a great way to help combat that. I welcome the troubleshooting exam — though I’m not sure I quite agree with the removal of security and QoS topics from the CCNP curriculum — as I am much better with hands on/implementation than I am with simply learning theory. When I was teaching, there was, of course, lots of theory, but I always tried to supplement that as much as possible with hands on work. While I can learn a lot just from the theory, seeing it in action helps me to fully understand a technology.

There are three parts to the topology:

• IPv4 Layer 3 Topology
  • IPv6 Layer 3 Topology
  • Layer 2/3 Topology

Here are images of the three parts, from the PDF detailing the topology:

For those interested who aren’t already aware, the CCNP TSHOOT certification exam is available as a beta exam. You can register and take it (#643-832) at any Pearson VUE test center from now through March 26th, 2010 for the price of $50 (USD). A passing score on the beta counts toward the certification requirement just like the final release of the exam, however, your score will not be available until April 30th. Assuming I get back into study mode before the beta is over, I’ll likely take it myself just to experience it. My goal is to pass both the BSCI and ONT exams (the two I have left for CCNP certification) prior to the July 31st deadline.

What do you think about the topology? The hands on requirement? Will you or have you taken the TSHOOT beta? If so, what were your thoughts on it (remember to abide by the NDA if you post on this subject!)?

Thanks to Greg Ferro for the heads up.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

sabin February 22, 2010 at 6:34 am

Hey Jeremy!

I went through some discussions and found this:

might be helpful!

greets

aldo March 7, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Ran IPV6 lab in GNS3 with great success, only thing is that inorder to get the
boundry router RIPng->Router<-OSPFv3 to redistrubute the OSPF route into the RIPng I had to run the
Router(config-if)#ipv6 RIP default-info only ) on the FastEthernet interface pointing to RIPng network. this command put a default route into the RIPng routers. The OSPFv3 process took a redistribute command, so the RIPng route were passed along the OSPFv3 Routers..will work on the IPv4 Layer3 in the next few days.

aldo March 7, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Router(config-if)#ipv6 RIP [RIP process name] default-info only )

ED March 18, 2010 at 1:35 am

Aldo, would you mind sharing your labs by chance? I am going to take to the TSHOOT Monday and was going to try and physically wire up the equipment at the datacenter but don’t think I will have time…

If not no biggie, I can trudge through it…

Thx.

aldo March 22, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Ed, sorry I didn’t check, back I took the beta exam on last Thursday…talk about whopper with the cheese…topology’s are valid. take the time to completely understand the networks, don’t skip over DHCP and NTP, there a few troubletickets that cover those topics.

I think I passed..not pretty..but passed..TBD 30 april

I used
TSHOOT ciscopress book…read it cover to cover
TSHOOT Online Flash cards..
TSHOOT Labs built on GNS3..without NAT, DHCP, or framerelay..I wanted to get a feel for routing IPv4 and IPv6..but in retrospect..I should configured the entire network

Half of the test was trouble tickets just like the demo on Cisco website..

edimos June 4, 2010 at 8:35 am

it seems very difficult to troubleshoot those topolgies

edimos September 27, 2010 at 3:58 am

very very difficult i have tied several times but i failed

Emma October 5, 2010 at 6:01 pm

need downlodable labs for t-shoot pls

Murgen December 22, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I just passed the tshoot exam. It’s a toughie. I scraped by with a 820. The topology is still valid as of 12/22/10.

Marian Dolinsky November 18, 2011 at 9:43 am

Hi All,

I am preparing myself for
the tshoot exam; I’ve also built my private lab. I would like to configure it exactly
as it should be the right tshoot config of all of the devices. Does anyone know
where to get all the tshoot lab config?

Thanks